The Express Entry System

The Express Entry System

In January 2015 the Government of Canada opened a new program to apply for Permanent Residence named “Express Entry”. It is managed by the Government Department of Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

This program is for those international people who wish to live, establish and contribute economically in Canada. To meet this it has made a system where it assigns points by to factors such as age, education, work experience, English proficiency, marital status and other skills. The score is assigned out of 1,200 and each candidate waits in a “pool” to be assessed by Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). IRCC conduct periodic draws with a minimum score, which means that all candidates with more than the minimum score receive an Invitation to Apply (ITA). This invitation allows candidates to apply for permanent residence. IRCC system to manage, that how people with skilled work experience apply to immigrate to Canada is called Express Entry.

Express Entry has few important parts aligned to it which is explained below, these points are compulsory to follow if you intend to immigrate to Canada.

Comprehensive Ranking Score (CRS):-

CRS is a tool to assess your eligibility to create a profile in the Express Entry System; it is calculated out of total points of 1200. Your score shall be above the given minimum points score for eligibility. It’s used to assess you’re:

  • skills
  • education
  • language ability
  • work experience
  • other factors

National Occupation Classification (NOC):-

A candidate who wants to go to Canada as a skilled immigrant through Express Entry, his or her Job Code or NOC becomes very important to calculate. Canada immigration programs use the NOC to decide if a candidate job or type of work experience meets Canadian eligibility. NOC is basically list of jobs or Occupation codes listed by IRCC to match a prospective candidate occupation.

National Occupational Classification (NOC) system to classify jobs (occupations). Jobs are grouped based on the type of:

  • job duties
  • work a person does

For immigration purposes, the main job groups are:

Skill Type 0 : management jobs, such as:

  • restaurant managers
  • mine managers
  • shore captains (fishing)

Skill Level A: professional jobs that usually call for a degree from a university, such as:

  • doctors
  • dentists
  • architects

Skill Level B: technical jobs and skilled trades that usually call for a college diploma or training as an apprentice, such as:

  • chefs
  • plumbers
  • electricians

Skill Level C: intermediate jobs that usually call for high school and/or job-specific training, for example:

  • industrial butchers
  • long-haul truck drivers
  • food and beverage servers

Skill Level D: labor jobs that usually give on-the-job training, for example:

  • fruit pickers
  • cleaning staff
  • oil field workers

Canada government consider “skilled” jobs those with NOC Skill Type 0, A or B. They assess jobs against the 2016 version of the NOC.

Job Bank:

Note: It is now optional to create a Job Match account with Job Bank.

If you are in the Express Entry pool, you can start your job search by creating a Job Match account with Job Bank. Once you come to Canada, you can continue using Job Bank to find a job. It’s a government organized tool.

A Job Match account with Job Bank is an easy, online tool to help match you with employers looking for workers with your skills.

Proof of funds – Skilled immigrants (Express Entry)

A candidate must show that you have enough money to settle in Canada to meet the minimum requirements of:

A candidate can’t borrow this money from another person. You must be able to use this money to pay the costs of living for your family (even if they aren’t coming with you).

If your spouse is coming with you, you can count money you have together in a joint account. You may be able to count money in an account under their name only, but you must prove you have access to the money.

If you are invited to apply, you must give written proof that you have this money.

You don’t need to show that you have enough money to support yourself and your family to meet the program requirements of the Canadian Experience Class (this includes provincial nominees who are part of the CEC stream).

Note that you do not need proof of funds if you are :

  • authorized to work in Canada and
  • have a valid job offer

Keep your funds up-to-date in your profile.

The system may find that you are eligible for more than one program. You don’t always know ahead of time which program you will be invited under.

How much money you will need?

The amount of money you need to support your family is set by the size of your family. To calculate the size of your family you must include:

  • yourself
  • your spouse or partner
  • your dependent children and
  • your spouse’s dependent children

This includes your spouse or dependent children who are permanent residents or Canadian citizens.

You will need to show proof that you have enough money when you apply to immigrate. The table given below shows the minimum amount you need. If you have more money, you should list the full amount in your profile or application.

No. Of Family Members 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 or more
Funds Required $ 12,300 $ 15,312 $18,825 $22,856 $25,923 $29,236 $32,550

Disclosure Of funds: You will have to tell a Canadian Official if you carry more than $10,000 Canadian in cash funds upon your entry to Canada. This could be in form of:Funds are required for all family members, whether accompanying or not-accompanying.

Disclosure Of funds: You will have to tell a Canadian Official if you carry more than $10,000 Canadian in cash funds upon your entry to Canada. This could be in form of:

  • Savings (Cash or Bank Notes).
  • Securities in bearer form (stocks , Bonds, debentures, treasury bills etc) Negotiable instruments in bearer form (Bank drafts, Cheques, Traveler      Cheques, money orders ).

Language ability (IELTS or TEF FRENCH EXAM)

You must:

  • take an approved language test that shows you meet the level for:
    • writing
    • reading
    • listening
    • speaking
  • get a minimum score of Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 7 in all four abilities
  • include the test results in your Express Entry profile

You must show that you meet the requirements in English or French. Your test results must not be more than two years old on the day you apply for permanent residence.


If you went to school in Canada, you must have a certificate, diploma or degree from a Canadian:

  • secondary (high school) or
  • post-secondary school

If you have foreign education, you must have:

  • an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) report from an approved agency showing that your foreign education is equal to a completed certificate, diploma or degree  from a Canadian:
  • secondary (high school) or
  • post-secondary school



Contact Us to discuss your profile and eligibility.

[contact-form-7 id=”1554″ title=”Contact Us For Further Assistance”]

Open chat